Advertisemen
FaceBook Erased 10+ Years of My Life
https://ift.tt/eA8V8J
I can only assume it's erased. I've been blocked so I can't get to it. The TL;DR is that I was reported as an impersonator of, well. . . ME.
I'm a retired city employee, art school dropout and amateur musician. During the wee hours of Tuesday April 2nd (I'm also an insomniac) I was playing solitaire, shopping on Amazon and wasting time on FaceBook. I then got a message that my FB profile had been blocked. Someone claimed I was "impersonating" a person with my name and face. When I used my wife's iPad to search my name, there was another profile using my name and picture. The false profile had a cover photo that was all black, unlike mine which showed one of my guitars and a drum set. Since then, I've gone through all the stages of grief as well as every single support link I could find. I was only able to get the scam profile shut down, but nothing else productive has come of the debacle.
In the meantime, I've lost online contact with upwards of 300 real-life friends from my hometown and lost control of two worldwide groups for artists and illustrators. Side story - those groups have been taken over by people with brand new profiles and who had only been members for a few days. Don't get me started on the spam. I also had a "artist" page I used when I was in a band, but I made it private when I stopped gigging and got a normal job. I may be able to resurrect that page due to the one saving grace that my wife is also an admin on that.
I'm resigning myself to the likely reality that it will take several months before a human can intervene and realize that the profile that's been chronicling the last decade or so of my life is the real one and that the impersonator is the one which was started near the end of march.
Another side story is that the scammer DM'd me asking (in broken English) for $50 (I took a screenshot) to restore my profile. I know that having a second profile is a blatant violation FB T&Cs. I created it a few days ago, so I could reach out via DM to some friends who are not in my phone contacts. Right now, my only "friend" is my wife. I'll keep it that way for now, but I might begin using instagram for social media. Yes, I understand the inherent danger of that also being a FaceBook company. ::end rant::
[link] [comments]
http://bit.ly/1ODA6gd
April 11, 2019 at 05:47PM