-->

Moderation of walled communities Not Needed: Change my mind / discuss - Platform operator here


Advertisemen


Moderation of walled communities Not Needed: Change my mind / discuss - Platform operator here
https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Hi all. I had a discussion yesterday about social networks/media and what you're exposed to willingly and unwillingly on Twitter or Facebook.

I'm running a network myself where I enable people to create private communities - not listed anywhere, not published. I facilitate the technology for them to speak. If they want to they can also run discussions where the communication goes through their own infrastructure, so we don't store anything in that case.

I believe that individuals are subject to content that they don't want to see more on open social networks such as Twitter or Facebook than on closed ones - where-as you choose to join a closed group and hopefully you know what to expect and leave it when you feel uncomfortable. Likewise, if you just want to speak to people of a certain community then you know they are those people in a private group.

Now I received questions: "what about moderation?" and aren't walled/private communities incubators of different radical ideas. My opinion is that if someone wants to organize than they have a million ways to do it.

The algorithms on open social networks might actually be in favor of creating a resonance of ideas that are creating an emotional response and these emotions are not always very positive mind you. I see that as a result of timelines no longer being linear (transition over the last years), but the content being put to more prominent positions - content that is more likely to spur a response.

In today's climate, you might not have a fully non-moderated open social network - (or if that were the case then all should be moderated to the same degree) - otherwise, you end up with networks like Gab.

But when it comes to communities that run on technologies where you need to know how to enter the community, it's per invite, there are passwords and posts or not even links to the community are visible - in that case, I don't see why I as a platform operator have the right to enter that community. The administrator should bear responsibility. This might be different if anyone would have access to the community and would see posts of it in the general feed.

I'm a huge proponent of the decentralized internet technologies and efforts and I'm actively putting money into those.

Not promoting my network - have thought if I should put the link to it here or not, but I guess that wouldn't serve the discussion.

submitted by /u/VysokoAnime
[link] [comments]

https://ift.tt/1ODA6gd
September 26, 2020 at 02:07PM
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos that exist on the web sometimes come from various sources of other media. Copyright is fully owned by the source. If there is a problem with this matter, you can contact us here.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments

© Copyright 2017 Viral InfoBuzz - All Rights Reserved - Template Created by Viral infobuzz & anabien - Proudly powered by Blogger