-->

Why is no one talking about how tiktok over normalizes drug addiction and mental illness


Advertisemen


Why is no one talking about how tiktok over normalizes drug addiction and mental illness
https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Tiktok a platform mostly used by easily influenced teens and young adults are seeing videos which people out right normalize drugs and mental illness. I’m 16 and use Tiktok frequently because I think it’s fun for the most part but occasionally I’ll get a surge of people making videos on doing drugs like weed, cocaine, nicotine and they make them look cool. The comments of these videos mostly sadly agree with the person making the video. Those comments just reassure people that drugs are cool which there really not. Tiktok videos such as these is awful for the public, especially for teenagers which is the majority of the apps demographic. Sadly I have seen many people who have fallen into this trap in my high school and think drugs are cool sometimes even following these ”drug trends” seen as TikTok. As for the normalization of mental illness I’ve seen many videos of ”mentally ill” people talking about having depression, bipolar disorder, social anxiety, depersonalization, dissociation, psychosis, etc and making that also seem cool to the general public! I am not denying that the people making those videos don't have mental illness but it's causing a lot of people who don't to claim they do. They're making mental illness a trend, a personality trait, a way to be unique. This blinds those who actually suffer deeply. This is why I've seen mass amounts of people claim mental illness in my high school that seem entirely happy, they claim social anxiety and talk to new people like it's nothing, they claim depression but there heads are up smiling. I believe they do this not only for attention but to be unique which is disgusting. Examples of this would be ”depression check”, ”bipolar check”, ”anxiety check” these are just a small portion of those stupid trends. The comments in these also reassure people that mental illness is cool which is just horrible. During my freshman year the second time I smoked marijuana I had a panic attack and the days following that I did not feel the same it felt as if I were watching a movie of myself. I found I had depersonalization and got help. This was one of the hardest times in my life I wasn't able to communicate with many people because I had high paranoia of judgment and sometimes I would forget where I even was. I'm talking about this because I remember on several occasions I would be in a group at school and someone would bring up personal mental illness problems and it made me want to reach out and tell my own problems. This wanting to reach out would be quickly eliminated by everyone joining in claiming mental illness and it would basically turn into a game of ”I have more problems than you.” I never told anybody I was struggling for months because I was paranoid about it. I’ve been observing this on tiktok for a while now and even though I don’t like the videos, scroll out of the videos quickly so the algorithm doesn’t recommend me similar videos I still get them. I feel as this is widely negatively impacting western society and society in general.

TLDR: tiktok has become a platform of romanticizing drugs and mental illness by making it seem cool and unique. I have seen real life effects of this in my high school as more and more fakes have claimed mental illness and people talking about weed(mostly)/other drugs in a bragging manner. This has a great impact on society in a negative way.

submitted by /u/JamPixD
[link] [comments]

https://ift.tt/1ODA6gd
January 24, 2020 at 02:02PM
Advertisemen

Disclaimer: Images, articles or videos that exist on the web sometimes come from various sources of other media. Copyright is fully owned by the source. If there is a problem with this matter, you can contact us here.
Related Posts
Disqus Comments

© Copyright 2017 Viral InfoBuzz - All Rights Reserved - Template Created by Viral infobuzz & anabien - Proudly powered by Blogger