Advertisemen
Am I underqualified for most social media jobs?
https://ift.tt/eA8V8J
I've posted here before, but I'm back with more questions/ranting! I'm 26 and have been working for 1.5 years at a fairly well-known makeup brand. Started out as social media copywriter - writing all the captions across all social channels - and have since been promoted to Community Engagement Coordinator/Copywriter. My responsibilities now include writing all captions across social (IG/FB/Twitter/YouTube), doing everything for Twitter (content creation, captions, scheduling), community engagement and more. Even though my degree and most of my prior experience is in PR, I've realized I really enjoy doing social media and want to make it my primary career focus. I love writing, strategizing, engaging with audience, etc.
My only concern is I'm afraid I won't be qualified for the junior jobs. Since I work in-house and my company isn't super up-to-date on social trends, I haven't worked on any actual social media campaigns or have much experience pulling analytics, analyzing results, etc. We only use Hootsuite and not a ton of other tools. Obviously, I can say our IG and Twitter followers and engagement has increased X% while I've been here, but it's not the same.
I've had a couple phone interviews for social media associate jobs at other companies and most ask about a time I worked on a social media campaign from start to finish, or how we measure ROI. I don't do either at my current job, so do I basically have to start from scratch and take an entry level role in social? Obviously, I'll do it if I need to, but it would be quite the bummer with a massive pay cut and several years of work experience in PR and Communications under my belt.
Would it be possible for someone with my experience to transition into a Community Manager or Social Media role? How do I make people give me a chance to prove that I can learn the rest as I go along?
[link] [comments]
https://ift.tt/1ODA6gd
March 27, 2019 at 12:12AM